Saturday 2 July 2016

An Open Letter To The Labour Party

To whom it may concern,

Re: Labour Coup Encouraging Bullying Behaviour

This situation needs to be brought under control. I have voted labour all my adult life. My mam and dad (and me) were casualties of the miners' strikes and they were among those who voted for Blair in '97. I was labour before I could vote and as 'grassroots' as you can get. But I publicly, on twitter, support Jeremy Corbyn. Because of that, your activists and supposed supporters (including your councillors) have indicated I'm on drugs, told me I'm a loony lefty, indicated I'm part of a cult because I joined Momentum, said outright that I can't be grassroots labour and a Momentum member (as far as I'm aware they're not mutually exclusive even though some in the party don't like Momentum), one activist even told me my vote wouldn't be missed! He claimed to be one of your activists and active doorstep campaigners. That's from a man trying to get votes for you!

I've voted Labour in every General Election since I turned 18. I sadly missed the last locals due to the change in voter registration and I berated myself for it, but I did vote remain in the referendum and followed Jeremy Corbyn's facebook information on the referendum. To be told my vote won't be missed and that I am not grassroots labour because I decided to join Momentum two days ago is heart-breaking. This is the division cause by the coup and it's turning voters and members against each other.

As of yet I've only come across one pro-Corbyn tweet that was rude and I pulled the tweeter up on it, however, there are some among the anti-Corbyn crew who are genuinelly rude, who see life long Labour voters as disposable and who think references to drugs or mental illness is appropriate (it's not, both are serious issues). It is time for those who incited this madness to do the decent thing and publicly renounce such language and harrassment. By that I mean those who are part of the coup against a democratically elected leader.

No matter what their reasons for their actions, the result of the coup has been an outpouring of viciousness to counteract a certain segment of the populations support of Jeremy Corbyn. That needs to be renounced before the party loses life long voters because of the name-calling, bullying, and undermining which is taking place. It's not on. This is not in the best interests to see a selection of MPs behave undemocratically and then do nothing to address the inappropriate attacks made by their followers. Yes, both sides need to renounce such behaviour, though I have only encountered it among the anti-Corbyn voices. That said, I do think those who incited it should speak first rather than letting the idea that lifelong Labour supporters and votes are disposable.

This behaviour is why people are joining organisations like Momentum, because they don't feel heard, because the Labour of 2004 onwards, maybe earlier, hasn't seemed to listen. The students, those of us who were made redundant during the crash, and many of the younger generations who suffered under austerity want a voice. However, rather than listening it appears Labour want to dismiss those crying voices as troublesome, or unimportant, or worse still some kind of communist traitors.

The situation might be causing people to become full members (I did, and I hope to be active) but it is also driving away voters. A few days after applying to join (I've been debating it for years), and already I'm questioning my vote because the abuse going on in-house is off-putting.

My problem is I won't vote for anyone but Labour. There is no alternative available. I've never purposefully abstained or spoiled a vote as I feel votes are too important for that, especially when it cost so much for women to get the vote, but who do I vote for if I'm dismayed at the party I've always voted for? No one? Against all my principles? Please curb this before you drive people away.

We need to unite here (unite, not drive anyone away). Labour needs to get back to being the opposition rather than tearing itself apart. Please. For all our sakes.

Thank you.

Carmine Raven

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments polite and refrain from personal attacks. Comments encouraging hatred and intolerance will be deleted.